Congregation Beth Shalom, founded in 1922, was established to provide the growing Wilmington, Delaware Jewish Community with an alternative to the existing Orthodox and Reform congregations. From the “original six” families, we have grown to over 400 families. Our members support many services and activities throughout the synagogue and with pride and honor, and have served in leadership and volunteer roles throughout the greater Jewish and secular community.
- We are affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism and join with other area Conservative congregations to form the Mid-Atlantic District of Conservative Movement.
- Our membership actively sustains the Jewish Theological Seminary. The Seminary, in turn, provides specific services as requested.
- Our clergy actively participate in DERECH, the Delaware Association of Rabbis and Cantors, along with inter-faith task forces, civic coalitions, and communal organizations.
Congregation Beth Shalom is an egalitarian, Conservative synagogue committed to the worship of God, to the ideals and precepts of Torah, and to lifelong education. We are a welcoming Jewish community that promotes the observance of sacred times, the celebration of life cycle events, and acts of loving kindness. We are committed to social justice, interfaith dialogue, and the perpetuation of the State of Israel.
Congregation Beth Shalom is more than a building, or even a collection of people. It’s a community that can help meet your religious, social, and educational needs. (And your physical needs, too — just come to one of Shabbat lunches!)
You’ll find plenty going on at our synagogue — not just on Shabbat, but throughout the entire week. We have programs and activities for children, teenagers, and adults; for large and small groups; and for all sorts of interests. We are involved in helping our community through volunteerism and multiple tikkun olam projects. For music lovers, we have an adult choir and a talented Klezmer Band. And of course, through our Chesed Network, we extend caring support to members and friends who are facing difficulties and times of need.
Here are some of the things we offer:
- An active Sisterhood and vibrant Men’s Club.
- Daily Morning Minyan services, Sunday through Friday. Minyan begins at 9:00am on Sunday mornings and 7:30am Monday through Friday. On Fridays, so long as Torah is not being read, we meet at Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth to form a Community Minyan.
- A twice-recognized Framework for Excellence Hebrew School. Classes meet on Sundays at 9:00am and Tuesdays at 4:00pm.
- Timely adult education programs including: Torah Study with Rabbi Michael, a CBS Book Club, Hebrew Classes for Beginners, and special guest topics during our Second Friday Shabbat Services. We also have periodic programs sponsored by the Rabbi Jacob Kraft Educational Foundation.
- A newly renovated and well-resourced Jewish Library. Members are welcome to use the library for research projects, as well as general reading and inter-library book loans.
For more information:
We welcome you to call our synagogue office, 302.654.4462. We will be happy to assist you with your questions about dues, sponsoring onegs and kiddushes, or simply directing you to the appropriate lay leader, clergy, or volunteer support as necessary.
We look forward to seeing you soon!